Monday, August 1, 2011

Game of Throne Series



I've been reading the Game of Throne Series (actually its "A Song of Ice and Fire" series) and really regret starting it. I don't have time to be reading and I can't put it down!

George Martin is pretty creative with the world he creates. I have noticed that he uses at least two of the same story lines as Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. Some of Jordan's characters have the ability of 'dreamwalking' that allows them to travel to another place and meet with people in their dreams. Martin uses the connection between direwolves and the Stark children. They are able to see through the eyes of the direwolf and act through them.

Both Martin and Jordan use a strange building that looks ordinary and neglected on the outside, but expands and twists inside. Both buildings cause those entering to become lost and die in most cases, and contain creatures that draw on the energy of the living. Very strange. I've tried to think if I've ever read that scenario in another book, but I can't think of one. Just Martin and Jordan.

They both also have a tendency of centering the chapters around a certain person or group and telling the story through each of the characters. It's the characters that get me. I always want to know what's going to happen to them. If I could just put the book down!

No comments:

Post a Comment